Day 236 - God's Up the Mountain

We went camping for the first time as a family this past weekend for one night. It was an adventure as always ! The dog puked 3 times on the way up. Jossy refused to sleep without us going to bed. We got about 4 hours of sleep total all night after lots of tossing and turning on the air mattress. But all in all, it was a great first experience. Jocelyn absolutely loved being out doors and hiking and making smores. She was created to be in the wild, I'm sure of it. On the drive up to the location we camped, Jossy kept saying "God's up the mountain." I think she was confusing what I had taught her a few days before that God made the mountains. But she remembered all the same. God's up the mountain. And He was. When we woke up on Saturday morning, we decided to hike around. We came to this valley that almost can't be described without actually seeing it. I mean it magnificent! Aspens and pine trees all around it. Tall grass with wild flowers blowing in the wind. Big boulders perched in the middle. The dogs bounded around the field like this was their heaven. God was up that mountain for sure. I have been going through a strange spot in my faith the past couple weeks. Not bad, but different. God has taught me much about how He loves me and cares for my every need for many years now. I have seen Him as a very gentle and humble God. I think He is teaching me (and I asked for it) another aspect of His character. His Sovereignty and Power. God is up the mountain, perched high above us and He can choose to do whatever He pleases. He can cause a flood or an earthquake and I don't have say. He can create life and take it away and I can't do anything about it. He's God, I'm not. He's up the mountain. I'm down in the valley. So I have struggled with how both of these characteristics of God fit together. How my santa clause God and my dictator God can be the same. I guess what I am learning is that God is up the mountain and He can do what He pleases, but the bible tells us that what pleases Him is to save us. To delight us. To care for us. To care for me. He's up the mountain and He chooses to love me down below by creating beautiful moments that I can share in and turn back to praise for the One who is worthy of it.


Comments