You Can Love

I took the kids to the skate park for the first time yesterday. I was a little nervous about how they would fair in a fast-paced, wheels rule, move it or loose it kind of environment. I envisioned my children getting pushed out of the way or "jacking up" trick areas with their inexperience.  My fear of "hooligan skaters" bruising my kids fragile ego made me hesitant to even go in the first place. Of course, they both fell. They both made mistakes and got in the way of the more experienced riders. I expected that part. What I didn't expect to witness though, gave me a little a lot more hope for the future of my children in this world.
I witnessed patience.
I witnessed grace.
I witnessed encouragement.
I witnessed helping.
And all of these things from not only my kiddos, which was cool in itself, but I watched several other children act this way. Kids standing by waiting until the smallest member moved out of the way. Teens reaching down to pull the little ones and their scooters out of the skate pools. It was one of the most respectful environments I have ever encountered.
As I reflected on this scene with my husband later that night, we came to the conclusion that every kid at the park remembered they were beginners at one time. And they knew that. There was no ego or pride allowing them to scoff at the young ones.
We live in a world where this scene is not the norm. People rush around not making room for others. There is no time to help a beginner. There is no room for falling down. There is definitely no room for stopping to help someone else up.

Have you heard the story of the The Good Samaritan? It's all about loving your neighbor. Not just your physically located next door but complete strangers too. Holding a door for someone even if they are more than a foot away. Stopping to help someone pick up their stack of papers that blew all over in the wind. Letting the person trying to merge into traffic actually go in front of you (yes, even if they were "that" car driving up the shoulder). Listening to a friend as she cries about her loneliness. Picking up your husband's clothes off the floor for the 1 millionth time (no exaggerations here). Sharing your special lemon water with your daughter. Laughing at your son's funny joke.

1 John 4:19 "We love because he first loved us." God is love and He freely gives it to you to use in the world. You can love. You can model what it looks like to others.

What if we took the time to love? How would our world look different? How would our lives look different? How would our children be different? How would we be different?

Engage your Kids -  

Activity:  Make a list together of ways you can actively love others.
I.E. Fill bags with food, wipes, etc to hand out to homeless on the corner. Bake cookies to take to neighbors.

Discuss: 
Why is loving other people (even strangers) important?
How has someone been a "good neighbor" to you?
What are some ways you can be a "good neighbor"?

Read: Luke 10:25-37

Reiterate: You are loved. You can love too.

Comments