Put on Your Cape (part 2 of 2)

I wrote last week about the desire to hide behind masks to save "face" or preserve integrity. We do it more frequently than we may think and in at least my case to salvage pride.  The problem is that when we keep the masks on, we forfeit authentic relationships. If we can get to a place where we lay down our masks and acknowledge that we really don't have it all together, that is when we begin to see ourselves come alive.

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.

In keeping with the theme of Halloween, it would be fun to demonstrate my ongoing thought with our actual costumes this year. Our family dressed up as superheroes. A couple of a bat people, wonder woman, and a tiny spidy (Spiderman). I think there is a reason we (as a human race) like, at least the idea, of superheroes. They embody what we would look up to. Justice, hope, power, to name a few. At our core, we want to have those qualities or powers that truly impact the world. Make a change in this dark place. There is someone who has paved the way to do just that.

My sweet neighbor brought me a shirt with a bunch of superheroes on the front sitting on a ledge, and Jesus is sitting in the middle telling these icons "now that's how I saved the world." Cute, right?  But man is it ever so true. Jesus is the ultimate superhero because he doesn't have to wear a mask and he has every power at his fingertips. Not only that, he humbled himself to the lowliest of lows so that all of us non-super people would have access to his own power through the Holy Spirit.

When we choose to follow the greatest superhero, we are gifted His Spirit. Acts 1:8 says "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." This applies to all believers of all time. Why in the world are we not tapping into this? I'll be the first to admit that I don't access it enough. And then I get so defeated (or even fearful) that I choose to put my mask back on and watch the fake superheroes save the fake world.

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgment.

I want to approach each day knowing that I have the God of the universe on my side. I want to take off my mask and let the world see the broken me. I want to put on the cape of His Spirit so the world can see who He truly created me to be, a light in the dark. That's one superhero I can be.


Engage the Kiddos - 


Activity: Play 20 questions describing superheroes.

Read: Acts 2:1-4

Discuss:
If you had one superpower, what would you have and why?
What happened at the Pentecost in Acts 2?
Describe what you think that might have looked like to someone watching.

Reiterate: You can be a superhero too.









Comments