Day 191 - Obedience is the best gift

I was reading out of the book of 1st Samuel tonight and about all of Saul's mistakes as a king. He was much more concerned with appeasing God rather than pleasing God. He constantly took things into his own control and then turned to God when He became afraid or out of control. He disobeyed God numerous times and then tried to act like he was doing them for God. Verse 15:22 says "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 
I realize that we don't live in a society that still offers and sacrifices to God but it really struck a chord with me. Then I began to relate it to how I am with Jocelyn. She is disobedient daily. Part of it is her age of course but it is still frustrating. After I discipline her and she knows I am upset with her, she tries to make things all better by making cutesy eyes or she even tries to bring me something she thinks I would want to make peace. I love the fact that she feels remorse and wants to make it better. And I love her all the same. But it feels the most amazing when I ask her to do something and she listens the first time. And when she does it cheerfully too. 
Circling back around. The conclusion I came to tonight was that my only sacrifice I have that is something worth offering the Lord is my obedient heart. He will always take me back even when I am not but He rejoices when I just listen and obey. 


1 Samuel 15:22


Jenna

Comments