It's an Obligation

I hate strongly dislike obligation. Well, at least, when I am the one obligated. Especially when I committed to something and then 10 other things get stacked on it even with the best intention. There is heaviness that hangs around my neck when I am obligated to someone or something. I just don't like the idea of having to be in debt to anything. That feels like prison. Not freedom. But obligation is not a law or a requirement. The actual definition is "to bind or compel someone, especially legally or morally." So if I boil it down, it's not something I have to do. It's more like something that is highly suggested.

This is where it gets tricky. While I don't agree with it entirely, there is thought process in this generation that you have to do what makes you happy and you don't have to do what doesn't. Obligation only exists in a world of rules and order. I often look at obligation through the tainted glass of the world. I view it less as a privilege and more as a burden. Because if I really boil it down to who I am obligated and for what, then it actually becomes a much lighter load. I am obligated to my husband to honor him. I am obligated to teach my children. I am obligated to be loyal to my friends. None of these feel like chains, they feel like gifts.

Let's go a bit further. In Romans, Paul talked about his obligation to preach the gospel to everyone. He went as far as to say he was eager. I think his eagerness came from the fact that he  truly knew the honor it was to love others by sharing the gift of Jesus. Even to strangers. To be obligated to preach the good news of Jesus was something he felt compelled to do out of his deep knowledge of this love.

Romans 1: 14 - I'm obligated both to the Greeks and the non-greeks, both the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome.

Maybe if we stop looking at our obligations as baggage, but rather, opportunities, our lives won't feel so weighed down. Every breath we breathe is a gift. God gives them to us so that with each exhale, we can reveal His beauty. Each obligation is a way we can thank Him by sharing His good news. Sometimes this is through actual words. Sometimes it's through actions. Sometimes both. We can we turn our chains of obligation into eagerness to love well.

Engage Your Kiddos - 

Read: Romans 1:1-22

Activity: Make a list of your obligations (for kids ex. homework, cleaning room, taking care of younger siblings, etc). For each one, come up with a way you can view it as an opportunity.

Discuss:
What does obligated mean? What are some other words for it?
Why do you think Paul felt obligated to people he had never met?

Reiterate: Obligation can be be opportunity

Comments