You Can Notice

My husband used to refer to certain things I did or said as: the world according to Jenna. He coined the phrase after many debates regarding my view being very narrow, small, and from my perspective only. Now, I do believe that I have improved in seeing things through a larger looking glass but I still slide back every now and again. Eh hem, last night.

I don't believe that my perspective is bad or wrong (obviously) and neither does my husband . But everyone has their own perspective. I describe people in two ways: they see the forest through the trees or they see the pine needles on the forest ground. Both are very important POV's. One focuses on the grand scale. The big picture. The past or future. The other discovers the minute details. The brush strokes. The here and now.

Here's the dilemma: if we always revert to one way of looking at things, we miss out.  We miss a bunch. Even worse, we miss Him, with a capital H. We can't get a full picture of God when we don't allow ourselves to see through other perspectives. If we only look at something through our own personal dimension, we miss the full spectrum of color the prism has to offer. And that is important because if we are all different and all made in his image, then there is a lot to see.

God is always at work doing something. He creates and makes new. He is in the storms of life, both literally and figuratively. He is nestled in the quiet moments and envelops us in the chaos. He is working in the past, present, and future. In every season, He is there.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth."
Colossians 1:17 "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."
Ecclesiastes 3:9-11 "“What do people really get for all their hard work? I have seen the burden God has placed on us all. Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.”
‭‭
My challenge this week is for each person reading this to determine how you most often look at things. Are you a "forest through the trees" or a "needles on the ground" kind of person? Whatever you lean towards, try to look at it through a different lens. I'm willing to bet that God will reveal a brand new way of hearing and seeing Him.

Engage Your Kids - 

Read: Genesis 1:1-31

Activity: Go outside and look around. Describe what you see. Describe what you hear.

Discuss: 
Did you notice more big things or small details?
What does point of view mean?
Why is it important to look at things from different points of view?

Reiterate: You can notice things big and small.



Comments