Day 90 - Help, help

Jocelyn's new favorite word is "help." She uses it for almost everything when she wants something or can't get where she needs to be. It sometimes sounds like "up" or "out" but usually she is saying "help." I don't mind it because it is pretty darn cute but it seems to be her first and quickest response to any situation. Like when she can't get a block into the correct shape box, she gives up and says "help!" Or when she doesn't want to go down the stairs by herself, she gives up and says "help." Or when she wants out of the high chair immediately after saying "all done" she says "help!" The issue I'm facing here is how often or how quickly should I "help"? As I was reflecting on this during quiet time this morning, I realized that she is learning how to rely on others more and not herself. This may present a little issue as she gets older but I figured out that if I teach it's ok to ask for help in certain instances from others....but it's much better to always ask for help from God. That's the real lesson. Too much independence can create the idea that you don't need God or that He doesn't care about the little issues. Too much dependence can create the idea that you not only need God but you need everyone else, and that can get muddy. So the lesson to me is that I should be asking for help all of the time, it just needs to be directed at the One who is always there to help :)


Psalm 32:8

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

Jenna

Comments