Day 36 - The Bully on the Playground

Well today was Jossy first experience with a bully at the indoor playground. She was running around and enjoying the free space to roam, climb and slide until a little 3 1/2 or 4 year old snot nosed girl pushed her. At first, I didn't realize what was going on. I heard Jocelyn crying and looking for me so I went to get her. I saw this little blond girl standing behind her on the ramp and Joss was on the ground crying. I didn't know whether the girl had pushed her on purpose or she had knocked her over while trying to get around. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and picked Jossy up. Although, I should have known something was up when this girl ran away with a look of fear as showed up. I decided to keep an eye on her for the rest of the play time. And then it happened, AGAIN! This time I saw the incident go down. This girl full on slammed Jossy into the rock wall structure for no reason. I tried to get over in time to say something but as soon as Joss let out her first scream, the girl took of running. I picked Jossy up and soothed her tears. We avoided this little bully child the rest of the time. It angered me and hurt me all at once to see someone twice Jossy's age being so malicious and my daughter not being able to fight back. But I also had compassion for that girl, who's dad, by the way, was not paying any attention to her, reading in the corner. She was still only a small child who didn't have a clue. She knew she was wrong, hence the running as soon as she knew she could be in trouble, but really didn't know what or why she was doing these things. I realize that as a parent, I am going to have to deal with my little girl getting hurt by others, both physically and emotionally. But I can't follow her around her whole life protecting her. And I can't fight every battle for her either. I think that God has the same kind of approach with us. He is always watching over us making sure to be there when we fall but He doesn't prevent the hurt every time. We have to learn how to deal with others and have compassion for our enemies. It's the only way we can learn real love. Jesus said loving our friends is easy, the real test is when we love those who don't love us back. So I have to let Jocelyn learn this lesson the hard way. Even if I want to punish that little bully and let her know how it feels, that's not always my place.

Jenna

Comments