Day 10 - Honor Thy Mother and Father

This weekend at a conference, I sat a table that had place cards in front of each chair. Each one had a phrase or two with affirmations that we could take home and say to ourselves. The one in front of me wasn't really an affirmation as much as it was something that I need to hear.
 It said this:
I have compassion for my parents' childhoods. I now know that God chose them because they were perfect for what I had to learn. I forgive them and set them free, and I set myself free.

For a second, I was like "why in the world did I get this one? This isn't an affirmation!" But if you know me, you know that one of my strongest gifts is connectedness. It means that I believe God ties every little detail together and nothing is insignificant. So, of course, this card was placed there for a reason. I think so often as children, we think we can do so much better than our parents. We look back at our childhoods and judge or criticize what they could have done differently (or at least I do this). I think our parents actually set out for that very goal: to do life better than they did. As I think about my life and how Jocelyn will view me as a mother, I know she will have a thousand things she will want to do differently and better. There is one thing that I hope she excels at: being an example of Christ's love to her children. But it starts with me right now. I first, must honor my parents and acknowledge their impact on my life. Love and forgive them for the things they have done as humans. Second, know that I too am making mistakes every day. I must be honest with myself and my daughter about those areas that I need help and give them back to God. Third, pray that I use these lessons and pass them along to my children as tools for the future. Then my kiddos are in God's hands. There is no better place to be.
(Thank you to Kara and Denae for your wonderful insight today and talking through some of these things with me. The Lord has truly blessed me with wonderful friends!)

Judges 13:8
Exodus 20:12
Jenna

Comments