Day 16 - Moose Moose and the Paci

Jocelyn has her safety binkies. They are a stuffed moose and her paci. She normally only gets them in her crib when she is sleeping but lately I have been lazy and letting her have them whenever. They make her feel better for some reason. She has loved on the moose since she was born. So much so that the head has fallen off 3 times and the antlers twice. We sew the head back on for her so that this poor moose doesn't look pitiful. As I am reflecting on today, I realize that these two things make her feel safe and in control. If she is scared or nervous, they console her. If she is tired, they help her sleep. This leads me to believe that we develop idols at a very young age. An idol is anything that comes between me and God. This can be money, love for another, vanity, etc. I personally struggle with acceptance (if you couldn't tell that from any of my other posts) and security (mainly with money). These things are my moose and paci. When I get scared or in trouble, I am quick to grab these things instead of turning directly to God. I am slowly learning to let go of idols. Our small group went through a book called "Counterfeit Gods" a few months ago and it has really challenged my mindset on how easy I rely on idols in my life. It's a painful process to let go of something so cherished. But if I can figure out how to leave those things in my "crib", the result will be a much bigger comfort, God Himself. Now I just have to work on Jocelyn. I'm not sure she will give up that moose without a fight.

1 John 5:21

Jenna

Comments